Once you are admitted…
Welcome to graduate study at The Ohio State University! To secure your place in the class, complete the following steps:
1. Log in
to your Applicant Center at appstatus.osu.edu to:
- Accept (or decline) your offer of admission by clicking the Accept/Decline link on the main page. You will not be able to register for classes if you do not accept your admission offer. Note: As a condition of enrollment, all admitted applicants are required to answer a question regarding felony history prior to paying the acceptance fee.
- Pay the tuition deposit (if required by your program) using American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa by your program's deadline.
- Check for any outstanding provisions or conditions related to your offer of admission by clicking the Status link for the application, then the Application Requirements tab. Your admission is contingent upon fulfillment of these provisions or conditions -- see #2 below.
- Verify your contact information.
2. Address provisions and conditions
- If provisions are requested, send us a final, official transcript before you enroll in your first term of study in your program. See where to send official transcripts. Ohio State students need not submit a final Ohio State transcript; a courtesy copy will be sent automatically to the program.
- Conditions must be satisfied within the timeframe specified in your admission letter.
- International students only: If your Applicant Center indicates that you are required to take an ESL Composition Placement Test, you will be given a date and time to complete the test at the mandatory check-in for international students presented by the Office of International Affairs (OIA). This one hour essay-based test will be evaluated to determine if you need to take English along with your regular graduate curriculum.
3. Activate your Ohio State username and set up BuckeyeMail
Ohio State conducts business by email. We will use the unique email address that has been created for you (email@example.com) to communicate about financial aid, registration, billing, fee payment, grades and more.
- If you have not yet activated your Ohio State username and created a password, you must first request an activation code. Go to my.osu.edu, click Activate Now, then select "I need an Activation Code" and follow the prompts to have an activation code emailed to you.
- Once you receive the activation code, return to my.osu.edu, click Activate Now, then "I have an Activation Code," and following the instructions to set up BuckeyeMail and complete the process.
- Check your email regularly at buckeyemail.osu.edu.
4. Read the Graduate School's overview for new students
Read the overview for new graduate students, which includes a new student to-do list.
5. Attend orientation
- Students starting in autumn term are invited to a graduate student orientation hosted by the Graduate School. You'll hear about graduate student life and responsibilities, as well as campus resources and services.
- Many graduate programs sponsor program-specific orientations. Please contact your graduate program for information.
- The University Center for the Advancement of Teaching (UCAT) offers a teaching orientation for new Graduate Teaching Associates (GTAs).
Additional notes for international students
- Read and sign the immigration document enclosed with your notice of admission. If it contains any errors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After you accept admission and about two months before the start of classes, you will begin receiving email messages from the Office of International Affairs (OIA). These messages contain useful information as you prepare to study at Ohio State, including how to register for your check-in session. These pre-arrival emails will also be posted on the Graduate Pre-Arrival section of OIA's website.